Comments and news

April 2015  deer release

In late October i had a call i was definitely not expecting. A call from a lady who said she and her dogs had found a young fawn who was in distress, she said she had it in her car and would meet me with it. I could not believe that she had managed to get a 3 month old fawn into her car without it causing her harm. We arranged to meet in a car-park, south of Crowborough. I could not believe my eyes when i saw what she had in the foot well of her car inside a large laundry bag. A fawn 1-2 weeks old, very cold, floppy and quiet. I rushed her down to Alex, our vet for a check over. She had a large wound on her stifle maybe from a fence, a large piece of skin was missing, she was cold and dehydrated, and Alex was not hopeful she would survive. I told him we would give her 48 hours and then see. We put her on a drip to replace the fluids she had lost and i took her home. I spent the next two nights on the sofa feeding her every two hours and by the second day she was a little stronger. Now that she was a little stronger i took her back to Alex to have her wound stitched he couldn’t believe she was still alive. She had frost bite to both ears and her face and eyelids so was a bit of a mess but she was a lot stronger and got better every day. 2 weeks later she suddenly became weak and lethargic, i rushed her down to Alex where he found her blood sugar had dropped drastically low. We put her on a glucose drip straight away and within half an hour she was back to normal. So he said that she would need honey with every feed for the next week or so. She loved this and would come running when she heard me in the cupboard. As she was born very late it was going to be a while before she would be able to go out with our other fawns because of her frostbite as it was now very cold. She spent Christmas lying by the aga and checking for grapes every time the fridge was open! By February she was much better and needed to get out for a run around she had great fun in the garden but needed to mix with other deer. So i started taking her over to meet our other fawns in our release pen, she loved the space and soon got used to the other babies we had. As the weeks went on i would leave her for the day, bringing her home in the evening as it was still too cold then for her to be left out. By March she was there permanently and growing fast, it was great to see her following the others around and she more or less ignored me when i turned up. This was great as i had been worried she would not want to leave me after spending so much time with me and by April she was ready for release with them all. It is sad to see them go but it is not always forever some have returned for a visit in recent years. It is such a privilege to able to be part of their lives for the 6-8 months we have them and it is a amazing feeling, when they go off for that first time, and to think they would not have had that chance if they had not been found.

Fencing wound                                Healed

Frost bite on her ears
Warming by the aga                     Got any grapes??

Untitled Post

posted 6 Feb 2020, 23:50 by Debbie Johnson

It has been a while since i have updated our website and i am sorry for that. we have got busier over the years and it is hard finding time to set aside to do it. But i felt i had to today as it is our 10th Anniversary this month and i cannot believe we have got this far. there have been many ups and downs but we have enjoyed the rollercoaster and hope we have made a difference. Attached to the bottom of this piece is our latest newsletter we hope you enjoy it.

Round up of 2015

posted 7 Feb 2016, 08:46 by Debbie Johnson

2015 was another busy year with well over 350 deer calls and 360 in patients attached at the bottom is our round up of 2015 picking out a few of our special patients

March 2015

posted 26 Jan 2016, 07:17 by Debbie Johnson   [ updated 26 Jan 2016, 07:19 ]

At the beginning of March we had a Barn owl brought in from Gatwick Airport covered in a black goo that smelt like petrol- jet fuel! He was found in a puddle at the back of the airport where there were some fuel barrels stored. He was very thin and dehydrated and we were worried that he may have ingested some of it. We got straight into trying to get this awful goo off him but with two washes of fairy liquid it was hardly any different. We tried swarfega which didn’t help either so we called a raptor centre to see if they had any advice and they said try mayonnaise and fairy liquid! Strange mixture but we were ready to try anything. After a couple of baths it seemed to be working so over the next few days we continued to use it and after a few more days he was almost looking like a barn owl again. He was eating well and there were no signs of ingestion so all looked good by the end of March he was strong enough and clean enough to go out in the aviary to try out his clean wings and get flying again a couple of weeks later he was ready to go so we took him back to Gatwick near to where he was found and he knew exactly where he was. He took off without even looking back to say thank you. It was lovely to see and a great result.

Spring is finally here!

posted 9 Mar 2015, 10:21 by Debbie Johnson

During this quiet time we are preparing for the busy orphan season ahead. We would like to thank all our supporters who have bought numerous items from our wish list on Amazon, it has certainly cut our shopping bill down. We have also managed to put together our latest Spring Newsletter, big thank you to Nyree for her help with it, Im useless with the computing side of things!! i have attached a copy below. We have also set a date for our next Quiz Night which is 16th May at the British Wildlife Centre, thank you to them for lets us have their cafe for the evening.

Injured Cygnet

posted 5 Oct 2014, 23:37 by Debbie Johnson   [ updated 24 Jan 2015, 08:42 ]

One weekend in the summer we had a call form a local vet about a cygnet that had been hit by a car and had a hole in its head and was there anything we could do. When we collected it,  it didnt look good, it could hardly hold its head up, it was completely shocked. So we medicated it straight away and cleaned the would. It looked awful, but we had to try. We settled him for night thinking it wouldn't be with us the next morning. But to our delight it was bright and peeping at us. We managed to get it to eat some chick crumb, kept the wound clean, gave antibiotic cover and as the days went by the wound healed better than we expected. the only worrying thing was his /her balance wasnt good and occasionally he/she would fall over and not be able to get up again. then we had a lone duckling in and they became best of friends, inseparable in fact. the time came when we needed to find somewhere for the cygnet to go pre-release and luckily the swan sanctuary at Egham were happy to take both of them as they were so devoted to each other.

Tawny Owls

posted 5 Oct 2014, 23:37 by Debbie Johnson   [ updated 24 Jan 2015, 08:31 ]

We had a Tawny weekend  in April when we had 4 tawny chicks in from 3 different places. it followed a night of awful storms and they had all got washed out their trees, soaking wet and cold and couldnt get back to their nests. These are fairly easy to care for as long as they get fed they are happy. they were with us for a couple of months and then released locally so that we could supplement there food if they needed it. they are still seen from time to time.


posted 5 Oct 2014, 23:37 by Debbie Johnson   [ updated 24 Jan 2015, 08:24 ]

this Kingfisher was found in a garden in Oxted, Surrey. it was seen there for a couple of days before it was picked up. When it came to us it was thin and dehydrated. there were no injuries so no real reason for it to e on the ground. it was obviously a youngster so maybe mum had disappeared.  Kingfishers do not make great patients as they dont cope with confinement, this chap, how ever did not seem to mind. he had to be force fed for a number of days before it started eating for itself. for the rest of the story see above.


posted 5 Oct 2014, 23:36 by Debbie Johnson   [ updated 24 Jan 2015, 08:19 ]

Here is photo of some of our 20 fox cubs out in the fox pen. Here they can play and prepare themselves for release. Contact with us is now the bare minimum only when they are fed. As you can see from this photo they are already wary of us.

Baby Rabbits

posted 5 Oct 2014, 23:36 by Debbie Johnson   [ updated 24 Jan 2015, 08:10 ]

this year folly rescue were inundated with baby rabbits and asked if i had room to take some for them. the next minute 5 baby rabbits were in my care. This was a bit daunting as they are extremely difficult to rear and the difficult time is when they are being weaned. But folly have had developed a regime and have had great success with it. It stuck rigidly to this and managed to get all five through. It was a great relief when i handed them back for release, but also felt very good to have got them through.

Jack and Jill

posted 5 Oct 2014, 23:35 by Debbie Johnson   [ updated 9 Mar 2015, 10:29 ]

this is Jack and Jill. they were found snuggled up to their dead mum on the side of the road in Copthorne, Surrey. Very frightened and dehydrated they were rushed home to be given fluids and  food. After a few days , once they were settled they joined the other 13 fox cubs and went from strength to strength.

This summer has been full of ups and downs. We have been extremely busy since the orphans started coming in. We had 20 fox cubs in total, which are now all back out in the wild, a great feeling when you see them go. In February we had a barn owl brought to us with a broken wing. We took it to Alex our vet, who said that he would be able to pin the wing. All went well and he was released in May, flying off beautifully across the fields. March seemed to be the month for pheasants arguing with cars, we had 4 in the space of a couple of weeks. Two we managed to help the other two were too badly injured. 21 ducklings in so far this year! Often found wandering on roads with or without their mum, we have had two families with mums and one family of 9 without mum found on the A217 near Burgh Heath. Unfortunately we lost a couple of these as they were not as strong as the others, probably been without mum for some time, but the surviving ones were released just recently on a local pond. 4 Tawny chicks came in on the same weekend in April, after a heavy storm. Very cold and bedraggled it took a while to get them to eat but once that was started there was no stopping them. We have had a couple of unusual patients this year, a mole, who was caught by a cat! Unfortunately he died soon after admission, probably ill before the cat got it as not normally above ground long enough for cats to get them! Most exciting was a young kingfisher, who was just a perfect patient. We had trouble getting it to eat at first and had to hand feed, but once it got the taste for whitebait he was fine. The only problem we had was getting oils into his coat, as he got waterlogged very easily, he did preen but not enough and got cold very quickly. We designed a lovely enclosure for him so that he could dive and then get under a lamp to get warm again. This worked perfectly and he seemed to be doing really well. But i went out one morning to find he had died in the night. I was so upset as we thought we had almost got him to release stage. These birds do not normally cope with confinement for any length of time especially adults but as he was a youngster he was happy and we had had him for 3 weeks before he died. I managed to rear 5 baby rabbits this year from about 2weeks old, Folly wildlife Rescue were inundated with them so i offered to help out. These are very difficult to rear but Folly have had a lot of success with a programme they have run and it certainly worked for me. We have had a lot of fledglings and nestlings this year and with the help of a couple of volunteers and Louise we managed to get them through to weaning stage and Folly then took them for us to mix with others of the same age, they then learn to eat for themselves and are released together. We seem to be the only rescue centre that will go out to deer in trouble in the South East! We have calls from all over the three counties and have tried to get to all of them, but this isn’t always possible, especially when there are only 4 of us and usually need all hands for each call. So far this year we have been out to 78! That is 17 more than the whole of last year with 3 months to go! A lot of those unfortunately we have had to put to sleep due to the injuries, but at least their suffering ceased. We have 7 fawns some with leg injuries that we are still not sure will heal enough to release, but we are working hard with them. For regular updates and to see what we are up to you can always log on to Facebook Wildlife A&E. As well as the animal care we have been busy fund raising and would like to thank all those involved for their help- Merristwood College, Crowborough Town, Keep it local, Dormansland Horse and Dog show, Cats Protection Chelwood Gate. Groombridge village Fete.

1-10 of 51